A blog is not a book :-)

This blog is written in International English, the fluid ever evolving dialect of people in the Western World who are broadening their mental horizons, exploring different ways of being beyond their own cultural programming.


One request to all readers, but especially the native English speakers: please assess the quality and usability of the texts on this blog using the dictionary and grammar book of your soul.


I write on this blog what I feel inspired to write, when I feel inspired to write it, in no particular order. I hope you'll enjoy the fuzzy logic behind it too.


3 Jun 2015

3D carving models, chiselling away

I fancy today sharing some insights on how I understand my own writing process to work.

On first glance, it may seem that I start with an empty sheet and add things (words) to convey an idea that I build from scratch.
If it was to be compared to creating 3D art work, it could be seen as adding dots of clay until the sculpture is built up and finished.
If I feel into myself, that would not be my most accurate description of my writing process.
I always feel that the idea is already in me, whole, complete, finished.
Yes, it wants to be shared, expressed, made known, played with by more people.

But here is the realisation when it comes to ‘ more people’.
I am not aiming to reach people who are super happy with ‘ being told’ and are fully happy with consuming readymade ideas.
I feel that I am writing for people who are willing to make their own mind up, experimenting with the creative capacities of their own super sharp tools in their own mental workshops.
People who are willing to tap into new flows of creative juices and are simply on the lookout for some inspirational example projects, to train their skills of using their own mental  tools with.
Not so much for the sake of having the same end-results on their mental windowsills, but for being able to use those skills in sculpting their own projects, using their own creativity.

I am writing for DIY-ers, open to learn/improve their creative thinking skills.

Now here is the analogy that sits much better with me, about my writing process.
I am in touch with an idea that is, like I said, in me, whole and complete.
I see in my mind’s eye,  I feel it in my gut.

This original idea never leaves me, nor does it need building or constructing.
I share how it is made, by sticking its characteristics in a pattern.
First, with laser sharp attention, full focus, I go over it all, systematically, scanning it, exploring all it’s details and finesses.
Then, it is as if I take a block of mental mass and I start chiselling away at it, with the pattern of the original idea imprinted in my mind, following the feeling n my guts.

( Fascinating play on words, the Dutch verb ‘ gutsen’ means gouging: using a sharp tool to remove material with.)

 In doing so, the form of the idea takes shape, actually by revealing it from the mental mass, allowing it to come out of there.

What is chiselled away takes the form of words . They are, in a way, more the residue, the sawdust or rubble ( depending on the material used J ) of the thinking process, falling onto the sheet of paper, than the actual result.
Seen in that light, the pattern of the words is actually more conveying ‘ what the idea is NOT’.

Usually, I also have a little play with the pattern of the original idea and alter a few details to my liking. Keep it rougher, sometimes, add some other details, or split one original idea into two, if I like that better.
After all, it is a creative process, for me too. Which makes the result always ‘ my interpretation’ of the original idea.

However, if you as a reader, where to stick the pattern of these words in your 3D carver computer processor, called mind, plus a block of mental mass of a similar size, you’d have all the instructions you’d need to chisel away and produce ( yourself!) a similar piece.
But like with all creative projects, if you don’t like the original idea, you are not really motivated to create one of those yourself. Play with ideas you like! Sharpening your creative mind tools in the process.

Also, please, keep in mind this practical tip:
If you stick a smaller block of mental mass into your 3D carver... the end result doesn’t strike you as ecstatically pleasing: something is definitely missing!

Have fun with it!
picture found on: https://www.inventables.com

picture found on: http://www.copycarver.com














No comments:

Post a Comment